Saturday, April 1, 2017

Photoshop is a Blessing

I have a ground-breaking update: photoshop is useful!

When beginning to get pictures for my newspaper, I did not have the intention of utilizing photoshop for my images. At the time, I did not have photoshop on my computer nor was I patient enough to wait to get it/pay for it if need be. Boy was I being foolish.

So, as a result, my dad, Joey, who is a mastermind when it comes to anything computer or technology related, decided to sit down and help me find an alternative source to photoshop. Together as father and daughter we scoured the internet, looking for something that made cutting and cropping a photo appear an easy feat to accomplish. After about 10 minutes or so, we came across an app called GIMP. Essentially, GIMP is exactly like photoshop, but it didn't work out that way for me unfortunately.

The first challenge was downloading GIMP onto my computer. Since GIMP isn't an app from the Apple store, my computer, a macbook, was being stubborn and wouldn't let me download it for 10 minutes. Finally, fed up, I went to my Finder tab and found another secretive way to unlock my computer for a moment, download Gimp, and then lock it again.

So, once this problem was out of the way, I was thinking 'this will go great; smooth sailing from here.' Ehh... wrong.

GIMP was giving me major problems. It was not user friendly, which was an aspect I was in dire need of. The cutting tool, which allows you to trace out the shape of an object in a crop so there is no visible background, was not doing so much cutting as it was making dotted lines all over my page. GIMP opened up new tabs, didn't trace my shapes correctly, and took me steps backward when cropping; not fun on my end.

So, surrendering my pride, I ceded to photoshop. Though I was very against it in the beginning, as long as t creates my images the way I pictured them in my head, it will have to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment