Friday, March 31, 2017

Sketch it

"A picture can say a thousand words."

One of the most important aspects of a magazine is the pictures contained in it. As a child, I know I didn't read books for the words, I looked at them to see the beautiful pictures or illustrations contained inside of the. The same goes for a magazine. A good picture could be the difference between a person picking up Relatable and taking it home for a good read or the magazine being left for the dumps.

Since I am going with summer trends (this includes fashion and accessories) as my story for the double page spread, I have already captured photos of cute new, unique clothing and accessories, some of which I had never seen before I took pictures of them and were really cool. However, I must include other pictures in order to harbor as little 'white space' as possible. White space is the blank or empty content on a page. I'm not saying more image content is better, because it is not in all cases, but when it comes to laying out a page, there should not be any empty space because it will appear awkward to the eye. I had to learn this the hard way after laying out many pages for my school's newspaper.

So, what pictures do I still have to take in order to put the whole enchilada together? For one, I need a cover image. I also want to include a model-esque image on the page adjacent to the table of contents as well as on the first page of my double page spread. Thankfully, one of my good friends, Sanjana Pai, agreed to help me out. She, like me, is a Media Studies student and has to create a Foundation Portfolio as well.

Sanjana will be modeling a few trendy summer styles for me; the question now is how do I capture my image with the click of a camera? This I have the answer to as well: it is called planning. I have sketched out three separate images that I wish to include in Relatable's June issue. Now, I'm not the greatest artist and these were relatively quick sketches because I wanted to get my ideas down onto paper; please, no hardcore judging!








No comments:

Post a Comment